Home » Our Environment
Managing the Environment
The quest to constantly improve all areas of company business extends to the environment.
Business Commitments to Sustainable Agriculture
- Running a soil and vegetation surveillance and monitoring program to track trends and identify management priorities (erosion control, revegetation, pasture spelling, burning, weed control, pest control). Maintaining base resources important to sustainable grazing.
- Appraising forage supplies every season to help Station Managers adjust stock numbers and placement to achieve maximum sustainable beef production.
- Providing maps, specialist advice and training to improve planning and to ensure cost-effective infrastructure development which is both environmentally and culturally sensitive.
- Collaborating with Government agencies, research institutions, other industries, Aboriginal people and others with legitimate interests in the lands managed under the Kidman operations.
- Excluding livestock from high conservation habitats (mound springs, drought refuge wetlands, rare plant communities), cultural and geological sites.
- Helping control feral animals and weeds to protect rare or endangered species and unique habitats.
- Funding applied research for managing and conserving biodiversity and for achieving ecologically sustainable development.
- Rehabilitating overgrazed areas, eroded tracks and areas dominated by excessive woody vegetation.
- Minimising wastage when using artesian waters
- Reduce fuel used in the supply of stock water by excavating farm dams, maintaining windmills, setting up radio telemetry systems and installing solar pumps.
- Participating on committees, boards and councils concerned with natural resource management.